If you have ever purchased a bamboo pillow and wondered “can you wash bamboo pillows” or maybe you have been told that it should not be washed at all, here is what you need to know – bamboo pillows can be easily washed just like any other pillow. However, there are some steps that must be taken when washing pillows in order to prevent damage and ensure proper cleaning.
Plus, there are many different ways in which you can wash bamboo pillows so you can choose the method that you find the best when you are all set to cleaning bamboo pillows.
But first, let’s answer the most critical question.
Can Bamboo Pillows be Washed in Washing Machine
Bamboo pillows are made from memory foam and are ideally recommended to wash to keep them fresh and clean, but you simply cannot just put them in your washing machine. They need a gentle hand-wash approach when washing so that the pillow retains its shape for years to come.
The best way to wash bamboo pillows is by separating the pillow from the cover. Wash the cover in the washing machine with mild detergent and warm water. For best results, use a liquid detergent instead of powdered detergent. Hand-wash your bamboo pillow separately. Air dry both the pillow and the cover for best results.
How to Wash Bamboo Pillow Covers
Bamboo pillow covers can be washed in your home washing machine as long as you do not use hot water and prevent the washing machine agitator from damaging them. Follow these bamboo pillow washing instructions for the covers.
- Remove the bamboo pillowcase from the pillows.
- Set your machine on a gentle cycle with warm water.
- Use a mild detergent or a liquid detergent.
- Stop the machine when it drains the water.
- Place the bamboo pillowcase on a clothesline for air drying.
Before tossing your pillow covers in the washing machine, make sure it’s clean. Read our complete guide to clean your grubby appliance or simply use True-Fresh washing machine cleaner.
How to Wash Bamboo Pillows - 3 Step Guide
Now, this may seem like the toughest part of cleaning bamboo pillows, but once you read ahead, you will realize that it is not as tough as it looks to be. Follow these bamboo pillow washing instructions.
Step 1: Prep the bamboo pillow
This is a crucial step in cleaning bamboo pillows as it not only gets rid of the stains but also stops them from seeping into the pillow when it comes in contact with water. Follow these 3 steps to prep the bamboo pillow.
- Use hydrogen peroxide spray on stains.
- Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rub the stains with a clean cloth to remove stains from bamboo pillows.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used on everything from clothing to carpeting and is more effective than bleach at removing stains. If you’re worried about bleaching your pillow, skip this part of the guide or use a gentle detergent to remove stains.
Step 2: Hand-wash the pillow
To wash bamboo pillows by hand, follow these easy-to-do bamboo pillow washing instructions that will cause minimal damage and will also save time in drying.
- Fill a tub with warm water.
- Dissolve a mild detergent in it or use liquid detergent.
- Dip a clean piece of cloth or a small towel in the detergent water.
- Gently rub it on the pillow.
- Repeat the process of dipping and cleaning until all areas of the pillow are covered.
- Throw away detergent water and repeat the process of dipping and cleaning with clean water.
Step 3: Dry the pillow
You can follow two methods of drying your bamboo pillow as either of the ways work effectively. Choose the method that is most easy for you to do.
Follow these instructions for air drying your bamboo pillows.
- When the pillow is clean, put it on a flat surface in the open air.
- Flip the pillow to allow both sides to dry.
- Avoid putting it on a clothes rack or line as it will damage the shape of the pillow.
- Give your pillow a good shake to fluff it out.
If you do have the option of machine drying your bamboo pillows, we recommend it, as it makes your pillow as good as new. Follow these instructions for machine drying your bamboo pillows.
- When the pillow is clean, put it in a machine dryer.
- Set the dryer setting on a delicate cycle.
- Use warm temperature.
- Allow the cycle to dry the pillow.
- Remove the pillow and give it a good shake to really fluff it out.
How to Extend the Life of a Bamboo Pillow?
To prolong the lifespan of your bamboo pillows, you need to make sure you regularly wash your pillow covers. The pillow covers are heaven for bed bugs that might end up destroying your pillow.
Washing your pillow covers weekly stops the build-up of bodily fluids, which get soaked into the removable cover over time. When the covers are not washed frequently, the build-ups reach the pillow and are absorbed by the materials inside the pillow.
The National Sleep Foundation recommends washing your pillow covers at least once a week or twice a week depending on your usage and the environment you live in.
Additionally, keeping your bamboo pillow dry will save you both time and money as a wet pillow can quickly become a breeding place for germs and dirt when combined with warmth – do not sleep sweaty, or with wet hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How to clean bamboo pillows?
A: Remove the pillow from the pillowcase. Use hydrogen peroxide spray on pillow stains. Let it sit for a few minutes. Remove the stains with a clean cloth.
Q. How to wash bamboo pillows in washing machine?
A: It is recommended not to wash bamboo pillows in washing machine.
Q. How to wash bamboo memory foam pillow?
A: You can easily hand-wash bamboo pillows. Remove the cover. Dip a clean cloth in detergent water and thoroughly clean the entire pillow. Repeat the process with clean water.